Scioto County Community Resource Guide

By Paula Talbert

Resources for People Needing Treatment Options for Inpatient Detox

Detox is the process of weaning off of substance usage.  Less severe detox can be done on an outpatient basis, but more severe cases need to be done in-patient.  Detox is the uncomfortable but necessary first step in recovery that helps a person become medically stable enough to continue on into rehabilitation.  Some detox uses medication to assist with the detox process; such as methadone, buprenorphine, Suboxone, benzodiazepines, anti-convulsants, anti-psychotics, and anti-nausea medications.

An excellent source of information on detox and all aspects of chemical dependency and recovery is SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration). They have a National Helpline 1-800-662-HELP (4357); which is a free, confidential service that is available 24/7/365. Help is available in both English and Spanish.  They provide referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. They also have multiple free publications on a variety of topics. Their website is


Detox Facilities

  1. BreakThru Medical Withdrawal Management provides medical stabilization service. They are located on the SOMC (Southern Ohio Medical Center) campus.  They can be contacted at 855-341-9999 or 740-356-8331.  You cannot contact them through SOMC, and cannot be admitted through the SOMC Emergency Department. Typically 3 days. Ages: 18 years+.
  2. Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital (Russell, KY) – must go to Bellefonte Hospital for admission. They can be contacted at 606-833-3555. Adults only. 3-7 day program. Don’t use Suboxone or methadone.
  3. Riverpark Hospital (Huntington, WV)– can be contacted at 304-526-9111. 3-5 day program for alcohol and benzodiazepines only.  They don’t do an opiate detox.
  4. Maryhaven (Columbus, OH)– can be contacted at 614-445-8131.  It is a 3-7 day program that accepts adult and adolescents.
  5. Talbot Hall (Columbus, OH)– can be contacted at 614-257-3760.  It is a 3-5 day program for adults.
  6. The Woods at Parkside (Gahanna, OH)– can be contacted at 614-471-2552. It is a 28-day detox and residential program for adults.
  7. Dublin Springs (Dublin, OH)– can be contacted at 614-717-1800. It is an adult program that accepts admissions 24 hrs.
  8. Beckett Springs (West Chester, OH)– can be contacted at 513-942-9500. It is an adult 5-day program that accepts walk-ins.
  9. Ridge Behavioral Health System (Lexington, KY)– can be contacted at 800-753-4673. It is a 3-5 day detox program for adults and adolescents.
  10. Shepherd Hill (Newark, OH)– can be contacted at 740-348-9679. It is up to 90-day inpatient detox with partial hospitalization and residential treatment.  For information contact 220-564-4877.
  11. Center for Chemical Addiction Treatment (Cincinnati, OH)– can be contacted at 513-381-6672. It is an inpatient 3-7 day detox and short residential treatment.

Advocacy Resources for People with Disabilities

There are many resources available for people with disabilities.  First off, there are legal protections of civil rights for people with disabilities.  The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) legally prohibits discrimination based upon disability including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places open to the general public. For an overview of the ADA law check out


Disability Rights Ohio ( is federally mandated to protect and advocate for the human, civil and legal rights of people with disabilities. They assist people with disabilities with the following: abuse, neglect, discrimination, access to assistive technology, special education, housing, employment, voting, community integration, and rights protection in justice. They administer the following programs:

  1. PAAT (Protection and Advocacy for Assistive Technology)
  2. CAP (Client Assistance Program)
  3. PADD (Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities)
  4. PAVA (Protection and Advocacy under the help America Vote Act)
  5. PAIR (Protection and Advocacy for Individuals Rights)
  6. PAIMI (Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness)
  7. PABSS (Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security)
  8. PATBI (Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Traumatic Brain Injury)


Ask Jan ( is the Job Accommodation Network; which is done by the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP).  They provide free, confidential, and expert advice about disability accommodations. You can contact them at 800-526-7234 or 877-781-9403 (TTY). They are open 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) with help available in English or Spanish. They can brainstorm possible accommodations and assist you in finding local resources. They have 300 disability specific publications and a searchable accommodations database.


Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) helps Ohioans become employed and gain independence. There are three main divisions: Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired, and Division of Disability Determination. They are located at 8940 Ohio River Road in Wheelersburg, Ohio. They can be contacted at 740-354-7951 or 800-637-9341 and 740-354-7956 (TTY)




Resources for People Experiencing Domestic Violence

People experiencing domestic violence or abuse are often scared and may feel intimidated. They may be unaware of resources available to help them.  Domestic violence is when one partner is controlling the other partner; this can be through violence, threats, or intimidation. For an in-depth article of, “What is domestic violence?” See “

Because leaving an abusive relationship can be the most dangerous time; careful planning must be done.  Make sure to do a safety plan, there are advocates that can help you with this at The National Domestic Violence Hotline.

If you have children The National Domestic Violence Hotline website has a page that gives advice on talking to your children about domestic violence:

National Network to End Domestic Violence  and The National Domestic Violence Hotline website at are two websites that are loaded with resources helpful to someone that is dealing with domestic violence. More than just a bridge to safety, the National Domestic Violence Hotline is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to provide services in more than 170 languages. Hotline advocates answer questions, assist with safety planning and provide information as well as directly connect callers to domestic violence resources available in their local areas. All calls to The Hotline are confidential and anonymous. Telephone: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233); TTY: 1-800-787-3224.

Catholic Social Services offers counseling services on marital, anger management, pregnancy support, parent education, domestic violence. They are located at 1025 Kinneys Lane, Portsmouth, OH 45662. You can contact them at 740-353-3185.

Some of the services available through Jobs and Family Services of Scioto County are Ohio Works First (OWF) provides temporary cash assistance to eligible families in need, including food stamps, childcare assistance, disability, medical coverage, adult protective services, child support enforcement agency (CSEA). They are located are 710 Court Street, Portsmouth, OH 45662. You can contact them at 740-354-6661. Their hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Southern Ohio Task Force on Domestic Violence provide to domestic violence victims and their families these services: 24/7 crisis intervention hotline, emergency temporary shelter, safe house, court accompaniment and advocacy, assistance with obtaining protection orders, assistance with food, cleaning supplies, clothing, toiletries, public education, collection and distribution of deactivated cell phones for 911, participation in public awareness activities, help with obtaining attorney assistance for follow-up hearings. They are located at 2315 Grant Street, Portsmouth, OH 45662; or contact them at 740-456-8217 or 800-570-1819. Email:

Ohio Domestic Violence Network or contact them at 1-800-934-9840.

Kentucky Domestic Violence Association is located at 111 Darby Shire Circle, Frankfort, KY 40601. They can be contacted at (502) 209-5382. Website: Email:

Resources for people experiencing homelessness in Scioto County

For anyone experiencing homelessness in Scioto County, knowing what resources are available is important.

Scioto County has a homeless shelter located at 615 Eighth Street in Portsmouth.  They can be contacted at (740) 353-4085. The director of the shelter is Maureen Cadogan. The homeless shelter also has clothing for those in need.

There is a domestic violence shelter in Scioto County that can be a resource for someone that is fleeing from a domestic violence situation; they can be contacted at (740) 456-8217. They are located at 2315 Grant Street, Portsmouth, Ohio. They serve men, women and children that are Scioto County residents.

There are some blessing boxes that have been erected to provide items for people in need.  There is one on the side wall of Bob and Floyd’s Tires, one by the Senior Center on Second Street and one at the American Legion Post.

In the lobby of Community Action is a list of all the food pantries in the county.  Salvation Army also keeps a food pantry list in their lobby.

Salvation Army has a hygiene pantry that helps with essentials such as soap, shampoo, toilet paper, feminine hygiene, and diapers.

Also Salvation Army provides free hot meals weekdays from 10:30 – 12:30.

Salvation Army operates a warming station any night that the temperature is 20 degrees or lower; it is open from 7:30 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.

Salvation Army is located at 1001 9th Street in Portsmouth, Ohio.  You can contact them at (740) 353-2400.

Veterans can contact the Veterans Service Office for assistance; it is located in the Courthouse Annex, 612 6th Street. They can be contacted at (740) 353- 1477. There office hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Contact them to learn about which veterans benefits you may be eligible for.

PMHA (Portsmouth Metropolitan Housing Authority) is located at 410 Court Street in Portsmouth, Ohio; you can contact them at (740) 354-4547.  Their hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. til 12 noon and 1:00 p.m. til 4:30 p.m. While PMHA does not have emergency housing, it does provide decent and safe rental housing for low to middle income families, the elderly and people with disabilities.

Access Scioto County (ASC) is a public transportation system for Scioto County and South Shore, Kentucky that provides a curb-to-curb service. Door-to-door service may be available on request. It runs 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.  You can contact them at (740) 353-5626. Fares are based on grid areas.  Seniors (65+), children 12 and under and veterans are eligible for half price rates.

Scioto County Job and Family Services is located at 710 Court Street in Portsmouth, Ohio.  You can contact them at (740) 354-6661. Their hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. You can apply for cash, food and medical assistance, child support, and child care assistance. You can get assistance applying for many of these benefits through the Ohio Benefit Bank.  Ohio Benefit Bank sites are at the Salvation Army 1001 9th Street in Portsmouth; and The Potter’s House Ministries is located at 5409 Winchester Avenue in Sciotoville. You can contact them at (740) 776-4004.

The Potter’s House is also an active VITA site that has IRS Certified Tax counselors that will help you prepare and file your taxes for free. Contact them at (740) 776-4004.

In rural areas, the personal connection is important. Many people reach out to friends and family for help.  Also, contacting churches or other faith based organizations is helpful for one time help.  Each church decides who to help and how on a case-by-case basis according to their own resources.